Working with approval workflows¶
Approval workflows make sure that diagrams have been approved by a list of users before they are published in the Collaboration Hub.
As soon as a diagram is approved (or rejected), its state will change again. Furthermore, an approval workflow could automatically publish the diagram after approval: The approval workflows that run in Workflow Accelerator influence the approval state of the diagram in Signavio and can trigger the publishing in Collaboration Hub.
This section explains how to start an approval workflow for a diagram and also how you can accomplish approval tasks.
In case you want to configure approval workflows, read more at Managing approval workflows and contact your workspace administrator to receive a corresponding license.
Workflow Accelerator is much more than just a tool to execute diagram approvals. You can automate all kinds of other processes as well. If you are interested in a Workflow Accelerator subscription, contact email@example.com.
Start an approval workflow¶
In this section, you will learn how to start an approval workflow for diagrams.
You can start approval workflows for diagrams of all types.
- To start an approval workflow, select the diagram you want to have approved in the Explorer.
- Select in the menu bar under Share - Start approval workflow. The corresponding dialog opens.
- In case there is more than one approval workflow for your workspace, select from the dropdown menu the approval workflow you want to start and then click Start.
- You receive a message that the approval workflow has been started successfully. This hint dialog also contains a link to the appropriate workflow instance.
- Click the link to open the workflow instance in Workflow Accelerator.
Sample: Jane Doe needs to approve the diagram.
If the diagram is approved, you can see that the approval status of the diagram has been updated in the Explorer.
Processing an approval task¶
This section describes how you work as a recipient of an approval workflow task.
As soon as a modeler requests an approval from you, you will receive an email with a link to the case in Workflow Accelerator.
- Click the link to open the approval task. The approval task opens in Workflow Accelerator.
- Check whether the corresponding diagram fulfills your requirements.
- Click the Show comments link to open the diagram in Signavio’s commenting view.
- Click the Compare revisions link to get a better overview over recent changes via the revision comparison.
- Open the Explorer to access further functions:
- To open the diagram again, double-click it or select it and click Show comments, respectively Compare revisions/diagrams.
- To check whether a diagram complies to modeling conventions, select it and click Modeling conventions (XLSX). The report is especially helpful when you conduct a formal approval with focus on BPMN quality.
- In case you want to point a co-worker to a diagram, select it and click Invite to Collaboration Hub.
- Start approval workflow triggers a new approval workflow case for the selected diagram.
- To get an overview over pending approval workflows, you can either click Show started approval WFs or Open approval task list in the upper panel. Show started approval WFs provides a basic overview in the Signavio Explorer, whereas Open approval task list opens a more detailed, filterable view in Workflow Accelerator.
- Once you have finished the review, go back to the approval case in Workflow Accelerator to approve or reject the change.
In the Explorer, a rejected diagram is marked with a red X, an approved diagram with a green check mark and a published diagram with a globe symbol:
A rejected diagram is marked with a red X, an approved diagram with a green check mark and a published diagram with a globe symbol.
Processing open approval tasks¶
- Select in the menu bar under Share - Open approval task list.
You will be redirected to your Workflow Accelerator workspace. Here you can see your tasks:
- Click a task to open it.
- Click the corresponding buttons to complete the task.
- Select in the menu bar Share, then Show started approval WFs. The dialog opens where an overview over running (and completed) approval workflows is shown.
- In case you have selected a diagram before opening the dialog, all approval workflows for this diagram will be displayed.
- In case you have selected a folder, all approval workflows for diagrams in the selected folder will be displayed.
- In case you haven’t selected anything, all approval workflows of the folder that is open will be displayed.
- Optionally, you can activate the check box Show completed approval workflows to include completed workflows in the list.