Working with folders and diagrams¶
Folders are a possibility to organize your diagrams and have a clear structure even with a large number of diagrams.
Diagrams placed in ‘Shared documents’ can be viewed and edited by all users registered in the workspace. Diagrams placed in ‘My documents’ can only be viewed, opened and edited by the same user. In the section The ‘Shared documents’ and ‘My documents’ folders, you can learn more about how to work with these folders.
Notes on working with multiple users and workspaces can be found in section Managing users and access rights.
The folder structure¶
Within the two main folders ‘Shared documents’ and ‘My documents’ you can create subfolders to organize your diagrams. You can create an arbitrarily deep folder structure.
Select a folder in the folder structure to see its content.
By clicking the arrow next to the folders name or the name itself the folder will collapse or extend. This way, you can quickly switch between folders and still keep track even in an extensive folder structure.
Expand or collapse a folder by clicking the arrow in front of its name.
If the name of a folder is cut off due to the width of the folder column, the full name will appear when hovering over it with your mouse. You can also extend the folder column by dragging its border line to the right:
Extend the folder structure column.
Creating a new folder¶
To create a new folder, proceed as follows:
- If you want to create a subfolder, first navigate to the folder in which you want to locate the new folder.
- In the menu bar, click New and then Folder. A dialog pops up, in which to can enter the folder name.
- Specify the folder name and then click OK. The new folder is now visible in the folder structure.
Renaming a folder or diagram¶
- Open the directory containing the folder or diagram you want to rename and select it. In the lower panel of the Explorer, the name and the description are displayed.
- Click in the menu bar Edit and then the menu entry Change name/description. The corresponding dialog box opens.
- You can now edit the name and description.
- Optionally, enter a new description.
- To save your settings, click Change name/description.
Moving folders and diagrams¶
- Select the folder or diagram you want to move to a different location.
- Click in the menu bar Edit and then Move. The corresponding dialog box opens.
- Now select the new folder.
- Click Move to complete the moving operation. The view of the folder will then be updated.
- Finally, click Move. The folder or diagram is moved to the selected location.
It is only possible to copy diagrams and groups of diagrams but not whole folders.
Select the diagram you want to copy. To copy several diagrams at once, hold the Ctrl key while selecting them or draw a selection frame around the diagrams.
Click in the menu bar Edit and then Copy. The Copy dialog box opens.
Select the target folder you want add the copy.
Optionally, you can select one of the following options by activating the corresponding checkbox:
- Copy linked models, too Please note that BPMN call activities are not copied.
- Copy all revisions of the diagram
For system performance reasons only one option can be selected.
- Click Copy. The copied file is then located in the selected target folder.
Removing folders or diagrams¶
Select the folder or diagram to be removed in the main area of the Explorer. To select multiple folders, keep Ctrl pressed while selecting, or draw a selection frame around them.
Click in the menu bar Edit and then Delete. A confirmation dialog appears.
Click Yes to delete the selected object.
The selected objects are moved only in the recycle bin, from which you can restore objects if necessary. Objects will be premanently deleted after you empty the recycle bin.
To delete objects permanently, select the Trash folder in the folder navigation. All objects in the recycle bin are displayed.
Select the objects you want to delete permanently.
Click in the menu bar Remove. A confirmation dialog appears.
Confirm by clicking Yes. The selected items are removed irreversibly.
Restoring diagrams and folders¶
Diagrams and folders that have been deleted are moved to the recycle bin. If you do not explicitly remove them from there, they can be restored.
To restore a diagram or folder from the Trash folder, proceed as follows:
Go to the Trash folder. It can be found in the folder tree on the left.
Select the files you want to restore.
Click the Restore button in the menu bar.
Diagrams or folders without parent folder will be automatically restored to the ‘My documents’ folder. Please note that the previous release status of the item is not restored and must be edited if necessary.