In Signavio, you can easily reference uploaded or third-party hosted documents. This enables business users to have detailed background information, e.g. regulations and specifications, directly at hand when they view processes in Collaboration Hub.
There are two ways of linking documents to diagrams:
- In case you want to access the document from different process elements and/or diagrams, we recommend you to reference them from dictionary entries.
- To make the document accessible exclusively from one diagram, use a custom attribute of the type Document/URL. Both functionalities are explained here.
We recommend the usage of web links of the form
http://[domain]/[file] to reference documents. If this is
impossible and a document has to be referenced from a network storage,
please note our hints for Referencing documents on network shares.
Referencing documents using the dictionary¶
We recommend you to create dictionary entries for your document definitions. From these entries, you can then reference documents that are in your online document management system or on your network drive. You can manage dictionary entries in a central repository and re-use them throughout your process landscape. This decreases the overhead of managing document definitions significantly. If you haven’t used the dictionary, yet, read more about the dictionary at The Dictionary and follow the instructions further below. Because Signavio Process Manager is a process management system and not a document storage, we recommend you to use the document upload feature only in exceptional cases. To manage your documents, please use a document management system.
To reference a document in a dictionary entry, proceed as follows:
- Open the dictionary from the Explorer. You will find it below the directory tree on the left side.
- Now, there are two options
- Create a new entry through clicking on New entry.
- Open an existing entry by selecting it and clicking on Edit.
The “Edit entry” dialog
- Under Attached Documents, you can label the link and store the location. If you want to link a document from the intranet, see Referencing documents on network shares
Reference external documents from a dictionary entry.
This functionality only allows to link documents. The documents are not stored in the model repository. Please ensure that all users can access the corresponding URLs.
Referencing documents via custom attributes¶
An administrator can define custom attributes in Signavio. The attribute type Document/URL is specifically designed for web links and documents on network storages.
To enable referencing documents via a custom attribute, proceed as follows:
- Open the dialog by clicking Setup and then Define notations/attributes.
- Choose a specific subset and a modeling element, and click Add custom attribute.
Add a custom attribute to the process element ‘task’.
- Insert a name and a description for the attribute. Set the data type, in this case Document/URL.
Add a custom attribute of the typ Document/URL.
Select As list to enable the possibility of linking multiple pictures or documents to one element.