In this chapter you will learn how to manage users who are invited to collaborate in your workspace.
First, you send an invitation email to the users you want to invite. After a user registered via the link in the invitation mail, his user data is added to the system and his access rights settings are configurable. Once a user has accepted your invitation and logged into the workspace, you can manage access rights.
If you are using the On-Premise Edition, new users are registered via a web form available at the local Signavio URL under
Adding new users requires additional licenses, you need to purchase them accordingly. All licenses are linked to a specific workspace, which means that no additional workspaces are created by inviting new users. Users who already own a workspace need a license created by you to be able to access your workspace.
Optionally, you can add the user to one or more user groups. This is necessary if you want to prevent the user from having access to the workspace’s entire Shared Documents folder and write access to the entire dictionary. You can read more about user groups and access rights in the chapters Managing user groups and Managing access rights.
To add a new user as modeler, proceed as follows:
- Click Setup, then Manage users & access rights in the top dropdown menu of the Signavio Explorer. The user management dialog opens.
- Switch to the New users tab.
- Enter the email address of the user you want to invite to your workspace.
- Optionally, click Add user groups. The Select user groups for new modeleres dialog box opens.
- From the dropdown menu, select a user group and then click Add. Repeat the step in case you want to add the user to more than one group.
- Click OK to confirm.
- Now select one license option for the user invited. In the dialog box, booked licenses are available (for example, Classic, Enterprise, Enterprise Plus or QuickModel (for Collaboration Hub users)). For each license type, the system displays the number of available and purchased licenses. The license you choose for the new user will be bound to the email address you send an invitation to. The new user will have to register with the same email address to use the license.
- Click Send invitation. An invitation email will be sent to the specified email address. The email address appears on the left side in the Open invitations area.
Inviting a colleague into your workspace means giving them access to all diagrams in the Shared documents folder by default. However, they will not be able to configure the workspace (e.g. inviting other users), as long as they have not been added to the ‘Administrators’ group. How to manage access rights and user groups will be explained in the next chapters manage access rights.
Revoking an invitation¶
As the registration process in the On-Premise Edition is based on a web form, this functionality is not available there.
In some cases you want to cancel an invitation sent to a user. Proceed as follows to revoke an invitation:
- Select an email address in the Open invitations area.
- Click the Cancel symbol above the list.
Removing access of registered users¶
Consider the following information if you want to remove registered users from your workspace:
- If the removed user is member in one or multiple workspaces, these workspaces are not affected: the user is still able to log into workspaces he is not removed from, because user data are still available here.
- When removing a user from the workspace, his My Documents folder and all contained diagrams will be deleted irreversibly. The user should be informed to be able to export any files he may want to keep.
- All diagrams and documents the user has created in the Shared documents folder are still available.This also applies to comments and changes of the user.
- Comments and changes that the user made in the Shared documents folder can still be traced back to this user. The user name is displayed as author of changes or comments.
- If the user is removed and he tries to log into your workspace, he receives the error message that the user name and password combination is incorrect.
To remove a user from your workspace, follow these steps:
Click Setup, then Manage users & access rights in the top dropdown menu of the Signavio Explorer. The user managemnt dialog box opens.
Go to the Users tab, select the user you want to remove in the list on the left.
Then click the Remove symbol above the list. The user will be removed from your workspace.
The user will be removed without receiving a notification about it. The next time they try to log in, they will be informed that username and password are incorrect.
The Monthly Concurrent mechanism¶
Monthly concurrent are no longer available with our current licensing mechanism. This section is only relevant for users who purchased monthly concurrent licenses prior to April 2017.
It is possible to purchase licenses that can be assigned according to the Monthly Concurrent mechanism. This allows registering more users in a workspace than licenses were purchased. Each month, the license-user-assignment is reset, with the benefit that the limited number of licenses can be assigned to different users each month.
The licenses are assigned based on the first-comes-first-served algorithm: Each month, the number of modelers is limited by the number of licenses in the workspace. With each new month, license assignment is reset so they are available again. Each user that logs in at the beginning of the month then gets one of the free licenses, as long as free licenses are available.
A license that was already assigned during the current month can only be freed before the end of the month by deleting one user with an assigned license from the workspace. To make sure that some users can always log in to their workspace, you can force assigning a license to them by selecting the Force access option in the user configuration dialog. This option is automatically set for users that are member of the administrators group.
If assigning a license to a user is forced, this user will be marked with a little star in the overview at the left border. A users who did not log in during the current month will be grayed.
The following example illustrates those states:
Log in states of work space users
One license each is automatically assigned to both John Smith and James Brown.
Jane Young has already logged in this month, so one license was assigned to her.
Lisa Johnson did not log in yet. As her access is not forced, no license was assigned to her.
All together there are 3 licenses assigned, one each to John Smith, Jane Young and James Brown.